Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Y - You Can Call Me Mongoose 1

Y? Because we can! Sorry, lame joke. Getting a little slap-happy this close to the end of the A to Z Challenge. This was another interesting letter because I kept finding songs that I love, or at least like very much. That makes it hard to list something for the hate and love to hate categories. But, being the intrepid blogging mongoose that I am, I searched until I found something for each category. (And got an annoying song stuck in my head. That automatically qualifies it for hate status.) I picked the top two songs I love, so you get a bonus today.

Love
You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) - This is my all-time favorite Paul Simon song. (That's solo Paul, not Simon and Garfunkel. Bridge Over Troubled Waters FTW). The song was cool even without the video. Add the video with Chevy Chase and it becomes a Mongoose Den Hall of Famer. Though I'm not sure I want him calling me Betty.

Yahweh You Reign (Mason Clover) - I put this song in the top two Mason Clover songs. I would have to call this one and El Shaddai numbers 1 and 1a with them trading off the top spot. Both are great praise songs that you can really dance to. Really. We dance to it every time it's played at our church services. Plus, as I mentioned in my M post, Mason is a good friend. That gives it bonus points.

Hate
You're So Vain (Carly Simon) - Normally, I wouldn't give this song much, if any, thought. It was well before my time and not anywhere close to any genre of music I typically listen to. But as soon as I came across it on my list, it started running through my head with hobnail boots, stomping on brain parts that I've come to prefer unstomped. I can't let any song get away with such activities. It sets a bad precedent for other potentially mind-numbing musical selections. Bad Carly, you're banished from the Den.

Hate to Love
You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) - It shouldn't take much to figure out why this one gets the "hate to love" moniker. If you read A, you know how I feel about AC/DC. So it just pains me to have to admit liking this song at all. But it's one of those that I can jam to anytime I hear it. That disturbs me. I feel abused.

Unexpected Bonus Track
The Anti-Song
Yellow Submarine (Beatles) - That's right, the anti-song. This is bonus information you can't get just anywhere. Trust me, you'll want to know this and tell all your friends. What is the anti-song? I'm glad you asked. Ever get a song stuck in your head, stomping on brain parts with hobnail boots? Want to banish it forever? Sing the anti-song. A few repeated refrains of the chorus of Yellow Submarine and any nuisance song will flee the confines of your mind. The best part? The anti-song will not get stuck in its place. Warning: Do not dry-fire the anti-song. If there is no song stuck in your head, the anti-song will fill that void nicely. You've been warned.

That's it for today. Let me know what music you love, hate, and love to hate (or hate to love) for Y. And yes, you can call me Al. Or Mongoose 1. Until tomorrow, Betty!

No comments:

Post a Comment