Thursday, April 24, 2014

U - Say Uncle

This late in the A to Z Challenge, many bloggers have already cried Uncle and run away. Many more are still here, but some are thinking of crying Uncle. So it's only fair that I have a bit of an Uncle theme to today's musical selections.

Love (Song)
Uncle Tom's Cabin (Warrant) - Hair metal strikes again. I told you I really like hair bands, right? Warrant had several hits in the early 90s including Uncle Tom's Cabin. About a witness to a police involvement in a double murder, the writing style was completely different from anything Warrant had done before. I still rank it as one of their best.

Love (Band)
Uncle Kracker - I only know a few songs by Uncle Kracker, but I like the ones I know. Follow Me has a great mellow groove. Their cover of Drift Away featuring Dobie Gray is my favorite of theirs. I can listen to it anytime under any circumstances.

Hate
Until It Sleeps (Metallica) - I like Metallica. Who doesn't? But this song is just terrible. I don't know what it is about this song that's so bad, but I just can't stand to listen to it. It has a creepy sound that just makes me uncomfortable. I don't know why. I think it sounds too Lovecraftian for my tastes.

Hate to Love
Unchained Melody (Righteous Brothers) - Few songs have been recorded as many times by as many artists as Unchained Melody. The best version is still by the Righteous Brothers. This is the version best known for its inclusion in the movie Ghost. That's the entire reason I hate to love this song. Patrick Swayze blew it for any guys being allowed to publicly admit to liking this song. So let's just keep it between us, okay? Thanks. (Good thing everything posted on the Internet stays private.)

Anyone ready to cry Uncle? Or is everyone powering through to the end? Any other "uncle" related songs I've forgotten? Let me know in the comments. I'll even keep your secret if you have any embarrassing songs you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment