Friday, April 11, 2014

J - Take a Journey, Johnny. You Freak!

It's time for J in the A to Z Challenge. For any new readers, my theme is music I love, hate, and love to hate (or hate to love). Today, we're going to jump right into the list.

Love
Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry) - Just beating out Jesus Freak and Journey, this is THE iconic Chuck Berry song. Sure, he had some other good ones - Maybelline, Roll Over Beethoven - but nothing has stood the test of time like Johnny B. Goode. Based on Chuck's life, the clearly enunciated lyrics and classic 50's guitar work made it an instant classic. And to think, we owe it all to Marty McFly for playing in front of Chuck's cousin Marvin.
It's a blues riff in B, watch me for the changes, and try to keep up.
 Hate
Judas Priest - Another metal band from roughly my era of music. (Though just a few years before I really got into rock music). Despite being a metal head myself, I never liked Judas Priest. I don't know if it's their name or just the fact that I don't think they were that good, but I can't listen to them much. While not as terrible as most of the Hate bands and songs I've selected this month, they are still bad enough to make the list.

Love to Hate
Justin Bieber - How could he not make the list? I didn't have a spot open for B, so he gets listed by his first name. Can we please deport him back to Canada? Please? Now. Immediately. Right away.

Who do you love or hate that starts with J? Let me know. To my good friend Stan: Sorry, Joan Jett didn't quite make the cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment