Thursday, April 18, 2013

P - Puppets

If you read my post for the letter B, you know that I voice two puppets for an upcoming show on Hebraic Roots Network called Torah Puppets. If you have ever done a puppet show, you know that it can be a lot of fun. It can also be very tiring on your arms if you're not used to holding them up for a long time. With practice and experience, it gets much easier. Until you get older and start getting weaker and your arms start to hurt all over again.

I've discovered recently that performing is not the most difficult part of puppeting. Writing is much harder. I (foolishly?) volunteered to assist with writing episodes of Torah Puppets so our head writer and creative genius Stan wouldn't be stuck doing it all and losing what's left of his sanity. I now understand why he's mentally unhinged at times. I've written one novel and part of a second. Both are still works in progress. It was hard work. Writing this show is harder.

It seems fairly straightforward.
  • Have a topic.
  • Pick which characters are going to focus on what part of the topic.
  • Write dialog.
Simple, right? Wrong! There are several other considerations.
  • Character personalities
    • Does it make sense to pair this character with that character?
  • Filming schedules
    • Who is available to film with whom?
  • How many different scenes should there be?
    • Many short scenes
    • Fewer longer scenes
  • Timing
    • 26 minute episodes
All of these things have to be juggled and balanced when writing an episode of Torah Puppets. You can guess what that means. That's right, I'm behind. Again. I don't know why, but the episode I'm writing right now just does not want to get onto the page. It's the worst case of writer's block I've ever had. And that's saying a lot for someone who (attempts to) write(s) novels. Oh well, I'll just have to keep praying and keep writing. It will all work out. As long as Stan doesn't find out how far behind I am.

(Maybe I shouldn't have written that last part on a blog that Stan reads.)

2 comments:

  1. WOW there is a lot of work involved. Good Luck!! WOW!
    Connie
    A to Z-ing to the end
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm choosing to focus on the "creative genius" part and not the "mentally unhinged" part. I'm REALLY choosing to overlook the "how far behind I am" part.

    Creative genius. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete